8 thoughts on “some photos

1. beth says:

PaganMama (one of my invisible friends) said “Cutie dog! Cutie owner! In the photo where stephen is lifting tank’s ears, the dog looks like Spuds McKenzie. (Do y’all know Spuds McKenzie in the future?)”

😉

2. beth says:

also, dragondawn said “will you adopt me?

i’m willing to scoop catboxes.”

3. Angus says:

That first picture definitely needs a caption along the lines of, “We are staying right here. Either bring us some food or get a longer lens. Your choice.”

4. Jude says:

I currently have the first picture set as my work desktop. Because, y’know, I like people to stare at my computer and go, “Um, them llamas or somethin’?”

5. Tam says:

Well, *one* of them is a llama. You could give a cookie to anyone clever enough to tell which one.

6. Angus says:

Is it the one at the far left? The face looks a different shape and the body seems more vertically elongated…

(Here goes nothing on a 1 in 7 chance!)

7. What are their names from left to right?

I’m assuming its Jim on the left.

8. Tam says:

Ding ding ding — the Scotsman wins a prize. Yep, that’s Jim the llama on the left, followed by Cindy, Concetta, Joy, Galadriel, Victoria, and Cariboo. The two boys in the other photo are Hankyo (Galadriel’s cria from last year) and Oak (one of our first wethers).

The identifying traits of llamas, which are tricky to make out in this photo, are curving “banana shaped” ears and a more squared-off body-shape, particularly the butt. Alpacas have symmetrical spear-shaped ears and more rounded butts. Llamas *usually* will be much bigger and have longer faces and roman noses, but some of our big Chilean girls have long faces as well, so that’s tougher. On the other hand, Jim has a “double coat” (thick fluff, with long shaggy hairs sticking through it), which you don’t see in alpacas unless they are actually mostly llama.